- Published: 04 November 2015
It is with great sadness that I report the death of Ed Leslie. A celebration of his life will be held on Nov. 21. An obituary and details for his memorial are here.
I met Ed in 1990, when his long-standing association with, and support of, WiER began. After two years of operating at the secondary level, we had just opened our elementary program when Ed wondered whether his work in IT might be helpful. The school attended by his children was participating in WiER, and, like many schools, particularly of that era, teachers were active because of their love of creative writing, and not because of technology.
Ed made the rough places plain for everyone, helping WiER to craft its approach to technology, focusing on use rather than on technology skills in his role as "the first parent in electronic residence." Ed adopted the moniker "TechnoGuruHuman" to capture his role in this area.
We soon found that, like the teachers, writers were eager to participate, but not especially eager to deal with the technology.
Ed's patient, steady hand guided hundreds of Canada's writers, thousands of teachers, and tens of thousands of students in WiER, and, in the '90s, in teacher education, when he joined me at York's Faculty of Education.
He told me of his cancer diagnosis and treatment when we met for lunch recently. I am glad we had that time.
- Published: 19 December 2013
WiER is sorry to report that funding cutbacks in the government sector have had the effect of dropping WiER below an operational level. Accordingly, WiER's Trustees have suspended operations, effective December 31, 2013, which is our fiscal year-end.
The Trustees have opted to suspend the program rather than close it in order to provide some time to investigate other directions. Indeed, there have already been some discussions along these lines.
For more information, here is a PDF of our announcement.
Many thanks, all.
- During the period of suspension, we will continue to update our web site, and to make content available (e.g., author bios, The WiER Taps, Wired Writers Podcasts). Please feel free to follow us on Facebook, and on Twitter (@wiredwriters).
- Annual CRA filing completed and submitted June 30-15.
- Many thanks to Sue Carduelis and Allan Wadley for their lovely Lives Lived article on Emilt Hearn in the Globe and Mail.